« Home | Loofing Around » | hi! monkey » | Aviation Photos 5 » | Burger Round 1 » | Food that tastes as good as it looks » | Singapore Ga Ga » | Runnin' out of time » | Dodge Spam with Dodgeit » | Of Feathers and Antlers... » | Snagged! » 

Saturday, March 11, 2006 

Morningside Walk

The warm weather this morning was a stark change from the last 2 days here in Manhattan so I took the opportunity to do a long walk. Took the subway to 116th Street and made my way from Morningside, to Harlem, through Central Park and finally back in Midtown. All in all, it took 4 hours and a bit. Some of the sights my camera captured while in Morningside.



Certainly one of the most imposing structures in this area is the Riverside Church. Construction of the church began in 1927 and it was styled after a gothic cathedral in Chartres, France. The church tower stands 392 ft tall or 24 storeys high and contains 74 bells ranging from 10 to 40,000 lbs.



Many famous historical figures have spoken from the pulpit of Riverside, including Martin Luther King, Jr. and Nelson Mandela.



Looking back towards the entrance of the cathedral.



Low Library, Columbia University. The building last functioned as a library in 1934 but still retains the name of then president, Seth Low.



A nanny with her young charges. She's going to have a tough time with the undulating terrain in Morningside with that load in her cart.



A curious canine peeking out of a sidewalk window.

That looks like a most adorable pitbull.

Thats not a nanny....its a pre-school teacher. I know this, because I am a nanny and we use strollers, all the children are from differant families all around the same age. What made you think she was a nanny?
I am enjoying your blog thought, great stuff.

LMD - Somehow I knew you were going to chime in on that picture :)

Nanny - Thanks for the insight, I did think she might've not been a nanny as the kids looked to be of different races and a similar age but a friend who was with me insisted she was one. See, the hazards of candid street photography.

love your shots here.. esp the last one.. ha, great moment captured.. ;p

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Mr Sanguine
  • From Singapore, Singapore
My profile

My ipod top weekly plays

mrsanguine's Last.fm Weekly Artists Chart





Subscribe in Bloglines
Subscribe in FeedLounge